Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Joys of having 3yr old!

I knew I would love having a 3yr old, but I didn't realize how MUCH I would enjoy it! 

Don't get me wrong, I love the baby stage, where they snuggle, coo, smile, and are completely dependent. 
I love the birth-to-one-year stage where they change SO much every month. 
I love the 1+ stage where they are taking wobbly steps all over the house, becoming little people with very distinct personalities, and so demonstrative in their affection. 
I love the 18mon-2 yr stage where they are trying out so many new things, becoming even more of their own person, trying to talk and communicate, exploring, discovering, and delighting in the world around them. 

But there is something extra special about that time (different for every child, but seems to be pretty much for sure by that 3rd year) when you suddenly realize it's been quite a while since you couldn't understand what was said. 
When suddenly all you've been trying to teach this basically unresponsive child comes spilling back out at you and you start hearing what all is going on in that little head. 

When they suddenly see themselves as little adults, laugh with the adults (which is usually REALLY funny), copy everything you do with grave seriousness, and carry on semi-stimulating discussions. 

This morning has given me a couple of smiles along this line, and I thought I'd share them with you.

Me: "Peter, please don't wipe your hands on your pants."
Peter: "I not!" 
(this is a regularly used phrase, said with surprise and a slight bit of affront at the suggestion)
Me: "Well, where are you wiping them them?"
Peter (in a matter of fact 'duh' voice): "I wipe them on my chair!"

Peter just came up to me a few minutes ago, "Mommy, we forgot da Bible time!" Me, "You're right, we did! (ok, so I was procrastinating, not forgetting), should we do it now?" Peter, "Yes!" 

(so, I'll be back in a bit... ;-))

Peter, speaking to my middle: "Baby! It's Mommy's birfday today! Mommy's getting bigger!" 

"Mommy, are you turning Free (3)?" (This question has been repeated many times in the past two weeks, as he tries to understand how he turned 3 on his birthday, but I'm turning 29 on my birthday...)

"Mommy, are you getting bigger?" "Yes, I am" "Mommy, is the baby getting bigger too?" Perceptive child. :-P
"Mommy, I love God. And Timothy loves God too." 

"Mommy, did God make the trains?"

"Mommy, I want God. And Timothy wants God too. And Mommy wants God too." 

"Mommy, is Jesus alive again? Is God alive?" 

"Mommy, does Jesus drink water?" 

"Mommy, I love you!" 

Yup, I'm enjoying this little man of mine, and loving the fact that he's talking so much! 



3 comments:

  1. I couldn't believe how much he was talking when i was out there. Next time i see him, i'm sure he'll completely blow me away! :P
    Happy birthday 'Chel!
    Love you all! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet! Looking forward to those days....but living in the moment for now....with much babbling and "conversation" happening, of which I understand very little.

    I sat down to my Bible and journal this morning before the girls were up, and as I wrote the date, I was struck....HEY...it's Rachelle's Birthday today!

    Hope you have a lovely, lovely day! :-)

    Love, Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that. :D I totally agree, there's something special when they start to grow up a little more. My oldest just turned 4, and it's amazing me again that there's another whole new stage we are beginning.

    ReplyDelete